DANIEL GREEN, whose fine farm of 200 acres is located in sections 29 and 32, Independence township, Oakland County, was born in Warren County, New Jersey, July 8, 1828, and is a son of John and Elinor (Addis) Green, both of whom were born in New Jersey, and a grandson of Maurice Green, who spent his life in New Jersey, where he became a farmer of large means. John Green was the second son of Maurice Green, and was born in Warren County, New Jersey, December 25, 1793. By trade he was a carpenter, but later turned his attention mainly to farming. In 1832 he decided to migrate to Michigan, and the family started from the old New Jersey homestead with a horse and wagon, which conveyed them to New York, the rest of the distance to Detroit being made by water. A strong team covered the distance between Detroit and Pontiac, but the rest of the way had to be made by means of an ox team, the roads still being in a condition to severely try the strength of any other mode of conveyance. When the family arrived on the new home place they found a log shanty 16 by 16 feet in dimensions, which had been built by a squatter, and this shelter they were glad to use until a comfortable cabin could by built. At this time the nearest neighbors were Archibald Phillips, who ran a small sawmill at Waterford, and Colonel Stannard, who was the postmaster at Springfield. Daniel Green, the subject of this sketch, recalls the fine fishing then afforded almost at their cabin door, while frequently deer were thus shot. The plentiful supply of fish and game, they honey found in the forest trees and the wild fruits and berries which grew in abundance, not only prevented fear of famine, but gave the pioneers healthful fare which the fresh and invigorating air caused them to enjoy. Through ceaseless industry John Green cleared his land and put it under cultivation. Had he not been so liberal he would have been a man of large wealth, but he could never turn a deaf ear to charity, and frequently his kind nature was imposed upon. For many years he was a justice of the peace, and he is credited with a great deal of the cordial feeling which existed in the community, his advice being ever in the direction of amicable adjustment of difficulties instead of recourse to the law. He married Elinor Addis, who was a daughter of Daniel and Margaret Addis, natives of New Jersey, and reared a large family as follows: Maurice, who is a farmer of Holly township, Oakland County; Daniel; Samuel, a farmer of Holly township; John, deceased; William, who is in the ice business at Holly village; Hugh, a painter and paper hanger at Clarkston, Oakland County; Peter, who is in the livery business at Clarkston, Oakland County; Mrs. Elizabeth Voorhees, deceased; Mrs. Margaret (Herwig) Scadding, of Clarkston, Oakland County; and Mrs. Rebecca Osmun, of Pontiac. Daniel Green was four years old when the family came to Michigan and located on the farm referred to above, which his father purchased for $1.25 an acre, and where our subject has always lived, with the exception of nine years preceding his father's death, when he operated a farm four miles north. The two fine dwelling houses and the four barns which now improve the farm were erected by our subject. He has engaged in general farming and the raising of high grade stock and has always kept sheep. His land is well fitted for grain and other produce also, especially fine potatoes, for which there is always a good market. In connection with his successful farming Mr. Green has been interested in other enterprises. During two years he operated a shoe store in Clarkston and engaged in a flour, feed and corn business in Detroit, while residing there to educate his children. On April 8, 1847, Mr. Green was married to Julia A. Landis, who was born in New Jersey and is a daughter of John and Annie Landis. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Green are: Mrs. Elizabeth Tompkins, a widow residing at Pontiac, with her two children, Charles and Mary; Franklin, a farmer of Independence township, Oakland County; Sophia, who is living at home; Washington, his father's farmer, who has one daughter, Pearl; Cyrenus, who is a farmer of Independence township, Oakland County, and has three children,--Stewart, Frank and Gertrude; and Mrs. Ellen Beardslee, who has six children,--Nettie, Orsamus, Hazel, Charles, Avery and Julia. Mr. Green has always consistently supported the Democratic party. For eight years he ably served as justice of the peace in Holly and Independence townships, for two terms was township treasurer, for many years was a school director and has long been one of the leading men of the neighborhood. He is very highly esteemed by all who know him and reciprocates the kind feelings he finds on every side. The family belongs to the Methodist Church.