Access to the Internet at the Waterford Township Public Library is provided as an information and recreation resource. The same standards of intellectual freedom expressed in the Waterford Township Public Library Statement of Purpose and Materials Selection Policy apply to the Library's access to the Internet.
In keeping with its purpose and with advances in information technology, the Library provides users with access to the Internet. The Internet is a global electronic network that provides dynamic resources and facilitates communication. Library staff cannot control access points that often change rapidly and unpredictably. Users are hereby notified that they are responsible for the choice of sites that they visit. They are expected to bear in mind that the Library is a public place guided by our community's standards and access websites that are appropriate in a public environment.
As with other materials, restriction of a child's access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent or legal guardian. As an assist with this responsibility we employ a filtering system that is user-specific based on each user's age. Broad categories are defined as
- Kids: ages 0-13
- Teens: ages 14-17
- Adults - filtered: ages 18+
- Adults - unfiltered: ages 18+. (This is the default setting for users within this age range.)
Parents or guardians who wish to change the access automatically assigned to their child can do so by making this request in person at the Library.
Library workstations are accessible via a valid borrower card or a guest pass issued by our staff. Guest passes are issued to adults only and ID is required. Minors who are not eligible for a borrower card must be accompanied by their parent or guardian to whom a guest pass has been issued in order to use a workstation. Patrons are expected to use only their own borrower card or guest pass.
The Waterford Library makes no warranty, expressed or implied, for the timeliness, accuracy or usefulness for a particular purpose of information accessed via the Internet.
Users must comply with the United States copyright law and all other applicable laws.
Users of the Library network and/or workstations must adhere to the following guidelines. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the loss of the right to use the network and/or workstations:
- Waterford Township Public Library complies with Michigan Public Act 212.
- It is illegal to use the Waterford Township Public Library Internet connection for any purposes which violate U.S. or State laws, including, but not limited to transmission of obscenity, child pornography or defamatory speech.
- Users are expected to bear in mind that the Library is a public place guided by our community's standards and access websites that are appropriate in a public environment.
Revised: June 2006